Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Luxury Expenses

I think its time for me to return this blog to its original purpose, for daily light thoughts.
This one isnt really light though since its been occupying my head these last few days @_@

How do you manage your expenses?

Im not much of a shop-a-holic. I only buy stuffs when I really need them, when the old one is already broken/finished, when I cant find any other thing to substitute it.

Thats why sophie kinsella's stories never really seemed to echo on me. Buying shoes as an investment? my dearest ridla girls agreed on it, and they really do have pretty shoes suitable for every kind of occasion. I..only have a pair of sneakers aged 2 years, a pair of snow proof shoes (because the afromentioned sneakers just couldnt hold up to the snows and start to look saddening recently T_T), a pair of girly shoes (for every formal occasion possible), and a pair of hiking sandals.

Thats also because Im very picky. Buying things have always been an exhausting experience, consuming at least 2 days or more, and will only ends if I definitely sure i really really really want to buy that thing (sometimes involving me dreaming of that stuff already @_@). Therefore by nature I try to avoid buying things as much as I could.

But bad thing happens. ( an euphemism of s*** happens xD)

My laptop is dead.
Now, from browsing around, I want an xps m1330.
my other options :
- IBM T61 : scratched because I'd be forever itched to correct that asymmetrical monitor. for godsake! didnt they know everything must be balanced on earth?!?! xD
- m1530 : I dont want to add more weight to my daily 7 kgs backpack =(
- macbook pro : its much more expensive =( *the same goes to sony stuffs*
- a desktop : I might be traveling around, and its not really something compact i can bring with me or stuff somewhere to be left temporarily.

but then...my supervisor said in 2 or 3 months there might be some money for the univ to buy a laptop for me.

the thing is :
1. losing my laptop is driving me crazy these past few days, srsly
2. I always feel uneasy abt borrowed stuff

now, xps m1330 isnt really that cheap...
its on promotion now so i can get some discounts, but still...expensive.
dont even start to calculate the fact that im buying it in euro now, and that euro's value is skyrocketing now compared to rupiah.

I do have some money for it.
But, am I spending on some tertiary/luxury stuff if I buy this?

Its something I remember from my elementary school lesson. 3 types of spending :
primary, secondary, tertiary/luxury. A good person should not waste much on tertiary stuff and should save his/her money instead for rainy days :D

What I feel now is that a laptop is a primary need for me. Its something that I need everyday, its something I need to do all my works, its something I need with me in keeping all my routines that I have been and will have to keep on doing. I know I'd be using it to the fullest, and I know I would love to have it to last as long as possible.

But then, looking at the price, looking at the other possibilities that I can actually make do with,..is this a luxury item?
Does having an enough amount of money, so that u r not actually spending beyond ur limit, makes u eligible to spend on an expensive stuff?

I've been stressing myself out lately with this thought @_@
Im soooo desperate for a new laptop but then this thought always made me hesitant to make my transaction T_T

Another thing.
I've been craving for a dancepad since forever.
I desperately searched one in Indonesia but they dont have any with USB connection.
Ive finally found a retailer for europe, and after harassing them I finally found that they have a 1 year warranty for the dance pads and that they will replace defective products if I happen to receive one. Im just one step away from finalizing my order when again that same thought came.

Its a good one, and its european, so its not cheap.
But I know I would dance so often on it, if not every morning as my sport ^^.
I have even dreamed about playing on one, thats how I crave for this dancepad >_<
But does that makes a strong excuse for my spending?

I would blame this kind of confusion to the fact that im living in europe with a background knowledge of indonesian life.

had I been living in indonesia maybe none of those are even considered as my option.

had i always been living in europe maybe all of those are just some normal stuff, normal expenses.

...these things give me headaches @_@

I knew I never liked to have anything to do with money *sigh*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, here's my thought and you may object to it (pardon me for the bad grammar, okay :D)

Dancepad is tertiary but laptop is primary. Why? You've said it all :D. You use it every day, you need it for your job, and you'll live with it for the rest of it's life, wont you? (like your ruby). Dancepad... it's a whole different thing. I think you need it only for your joy, rite? :D so it says all.. it's tertiary. You easily can exchange your sport-on-the-dancepad with regular jog every morning :D

One thing though, what is dancepad? Is it same as like we use to play in Agung's house? (oh.. remembering those old days... thumping shamelessly in Agung's house. Wonder what his mom thought about us :lol:)

lite said...

Aww vellyyy :')
how sweet of u *puppy eyes*

and to think I woke up just now with a thought "o, what the heck, just buy them all already and get rid of this confusion asap"xD

thankiiiesss vellyyyy <33

yea, i guess I'll finalize my laptop transaction today...
and give more thoughts to the dancepad a bit later ;P

aww, u hav no problem with ur grammars, vel ;D

and yea!
exactly that foot-thumping-addiction-maker-culprit is the dancepad that im talking abt here!xD

hahaha, omg, i never thought of that xD
I guess we didnt really leave a good impression on her with such a noise did we?;P

Ismail Habib said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Well, laptop is more important. Without it, the dancepad will be useless LOL.

Look Yus... dancepad is not tertiary. It has the same importance as food, clothing, and housing! xD

For laptop, just take the univ. laptop, or buy a cheap one. Just enough to play XDO... (I bet that is the most resource-consuming application you will use ;D).

lite said...

lol zu ;p
uhmm, nuh uh, the china version of XDO is more resource consuming than XDO. so at least u r wrong in that part, mwahahahaha xDD